Coronavirus outbreak latest: May 16, 2021
Written by tokyoclub on May 16, 2021
Here are the latest updates from Japan and beyond on the coronavirus outbreak:
As of 9:15 p.m., Sunday, May 16
- India’s capital region of Delhi announced Sunday a one-week extension of its coronavirus lockdown until May 24, keeping the tight measure in place for over a month, local media reported.
- A total of 59.7 percent of people in Japan said the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics this summer should be canceled, a Kyodo News poll showed Sunday, as infections in the country continue to rise less than three months before the games.
- The prolonged coronavirus pandemic is likely to lead to a widening of the gender gap in Japan, already the worst among major advanced countries, unless the government takes action, a Cabinet Office panel said recently.
- With 100 days left until the Tokyo Paralympic Games, International Paralympic Committee President Andrew Parsons says strong coronavirus countermeasures, including a big reduction in the number of guests and officials, will ensure the safety of participants and the Japanese public.
- Tougher measures against the novel coronavirus commenced Sunday in six prefectures in Japan as infections continue to surge ahead of the Summer Olympics, with three coming under an expanded state of emergency and another three under a quasi-emergency.
As of 11 p.m., Saturday, May 15
Useful resources for foreign residents and visitors in Japan
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government’s “Tokyo Coronavirus Support Center for Foreign Residents (TOCOS)” multilingual hotline
– Available in Simple Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Nepali, Indonesian, Tagalog, Thai, Portuguese, Spanish, French, Khmer, and Burmese, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays except national holidays.
0120-296-004 (toll free)
- AMDA Medical Information Center’s “Multilingual Consultation Service”
– Available in Simple Japanese and English, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays. Also available in Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese on designated weekdays. Check schedule here.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government’s COVID-19 info
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government hotline
– Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (including weekends and holidays)
– Available via fax for those with hearing impairments
- Japan National Tourism Organization’s “Guide for when you are feeling ill”
– Multilingual clinic/hospital search available in English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese
- JNTO’s “Japan Visitor Hotline“
– Available in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese 24 hours a day
+81-50-3816-2787 (from overseas)
- Japan’s health ministry hotline
– Available in Japanese only, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- World Health Organization’s “Q&A on coronaviruses“