U.S. calls for North Korea missile launches to be taken “seriously”
Written by tokyoclub on October 1, 2021
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Thursday urged the international community to take North Korea’s missile launches seriously, noting they create “greater prospects for instability and insecurity.”
In addition to the three earlier-reported weapons tests, the official Korean Central News Agency said Friday that North Korea test-fired a newly developed anti-aircraft missile a day before.
Photo shows a hypersonic missile being test-fired by North Korea on Sept. 28, 2021. (KCNA/Kyodo)
“We’ve seen repeated violations now of U.N. Security Council resolutions that the international community needs to take very seriously,” Blinken told reporters during a trip to Pennsylvania when asked about Pyongyang’s recent test-firing of a new hypersonic weapon, the third missile launch this month.
He also said the United States is engaged in “very active conversations” with its allies in Asia — Japan and South Korea — in dealing with North Korea.
The administration of U.S. President Joe Biden has been reiterating its willingness to engage with North Korea toward its denuclearization, but no progress has been seen so far.
North Korea on Tuesday test-fired a newly developed hypersonic missile, according to KCNA, fanning worries that it has improved technology on the hard-to-intercept projectile.
The Japanese government said it has determined that the move violated U.N. Security Council resolutions against using ballistic missile technology.
Earlier in the month, North Korea carried out tests of a new long-range cruise missile, and also fired two ballistic missiles into waters within Japan’s exclusive economic zone.